Thursday 28 July 2016

A recovery week in Tuscany

After JWOC I got exactly what I needed, a week of chilling with the family in Italy where my hardest decision to make was whether to eat pizza or pasta for dinner that evening. I also remained healthy after the somewhat stressful JWOC week (and night) paired with a whole load of travelling. Training in this block was in the form of relaxed, pre-breakfast adventures in some thick jungles around the village in the hills where we were staying, and although a few got out of hand and extended a bit, I was feeling fit.

On the final day me and Oleg pushed the 'recovery' a little bit harder and hit a colossal scramble up one of the highest and steepest runs I've ever been on. At times the path up the 30% average gradient (for 1400m of climb) was no more than an indistinct rabbit trod but in a way this was good, as it meant there was a reduced risk of overusing my achilles and hip flexors which haven't been strengthened in a while. The views from the top were stunning and it was a great way to end a very nice week in a very nice part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment